Elite Ranks

Welcome To Elite Ranks Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.
[NEWS] 30B Giveaway 28th October.Current Friends Chat [Elite Wagers]

Elite Ranks - Your personal staking clan

Malik gives giveaway reward to wrong person. 18.01.2017 - during 500m giveaway

Asj

Malik gives giveaway reward to wrong person. 18.01.2017 - during 500m giveaway

Post by Asj on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:21 am

Hello, today Malik hosted the 500m giveaway but he made a mistake while calculating the answer of his trivia question.

6/2(1+2)

The answer is 1.

and "MutedTurtle" was the first to say 1 in chat. Link to clip: https://www.twitch.tv/eliteranksfc/v/115656429

Start watching at 1 hour 14 minutes and you will see  "MutedTurtle" to be the first person to respond in chat replay, and on the streams screen

but Malik think the answer is 9 and decided to give it to "Niroverse"

He refers to PEMDAS when he get challenged by the twitch chat, yet he does not follow it.

1.Parentheses (simplify inside 'em)
    2.Exponents
    3.Multiplication and Division (from left to right)
    4.Addition and Subtraction (from left to right)

so let's follow the method.

6/2(1+2)

add the numbers 1+2=3 as they are within the parentheses and you will get

6/2(3)

Multiply the number 2*(3)=6 as you will have to be done with the parentheses before continuing on with multiplication and division. You will then get 6/6.

6/6

Divide 6 by 6 and you get 1.

=1

Simple version of the issue.

6/2(1+2)

6/2*(3)

6/6

=1

what Malik does is this.

6/2(1+2)

3*(1+2)

3*3

=9

or he does this

6/2(1+2)

6/2*3

3*3

= 9

Both of these methods are wrong and does not follow PEMDAS

If he has problems resolving this math issue, i suggest setting it up as a fraction.

Try https://www.mathway.com/BasicMath or https://www.symbolab.com/ if you want a good math calculator to work with more complicated questions.

Ingame name - Asj

Twitch name - MutedTurtle - and i can confirm it if you like to.

Sorry if i misspell some words as English is not my first language
    Khiza
    Graphic Designer
    Graphic Designer

Re: Malik gives giveaway reward to wrong person. 18.01.2017 - during 500m giveaway

Post by Khiza on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:11 pm

newmeme incoming

Skill-Rex

Re: Malik gives giveaway reward to wrong person. 18.01.2017 - during 500m giveaway

Post by Skill-Rex on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Next time please recheck this shit on the internet before criticizing Malik the great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcUvFIUIhQ
    http://prntscr.com/dxrpun

Asj

Post by Asj on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Division and fractions always get the same answer

example 1.

21/3=7 and 21  
                     __   = 7

By that logic, 6/2(1+2) and   6          will have the same results.
                                           ______

2(1+2)

Yet you state that the answer is 9, when the answer of the fraction is 1.

6                         6                       6
    _____          =     _____       =       _____   = 1    

2(1+2)                 2(3)                   6

So if you start out with the same, you can not end up with different answers.

Yes, this question has roamed the internet and made people go against each other, some state the answer is 1, and some say 9. but math is facts, it is written in stone and it can't change.

because the fraction can only become 1, while with different interpretation 6/2(1+2) can be 9 and 1, then the real answer is 1.
    Skill-Rex

Post by Skill-Rex on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Asj wrote:Division and fractions always get the same answer

example 1.

21/3=7 and 21  
                     __   = 7

By that logic, 6/2(1+2) and   6          will have the same results.
                                           ______

2(1+2)

Yet you state that the answer is 9, when the answer of the fraction is 1.

6                         6                       6
    _____          =     _____       =       _____   = 1    

2(1+2)                 2(3)                   6

So if you start out with the same, you can not end up with different answers.

Yes, this question has roamed the internet and made people go against each other, some state the answer is 1, and some say 9. but math is facts, it is written in stone and it can't change.

because the fraction can only become 1, while with different interpretation 6/2(1+2) can be 9 and 1, then the real answer is 1.

Please see the video whose link I sent Smile

Asj

Post by Asj on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 pm

I forfeit. i made the mistake.

Sorry for any inconvenience i may have caused and i apologize dearly to Malik for tarnishing his name and reputation and any pressure i may have set the clan under.

Feel free to close this thread.

Malik
    Mod
    Mod

Post by Malik on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:05 am

The one time I take a break from forums I miss a dank thread like this. Although you've seemed to have acknowledged the error, I'll explain myself anyway:

6/2(1+2)

We all agree this simplifies to 6/2(3). The problem then lies in doing the 6/2 or 2(3) first. To put it quite simply, if you say 6/2(3), then this also translates to 6/2*3. No matter if you use PEMDAS, BEDMAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS, BIDMAS, we all agree that it is multiplication and division with both of them being the same weight which means we solve from left to right.

So, if you do in fact agree with the above statement, then it would be illogical for 6/2(3) AKA 6/2*3 to equal 1. It would be 9

On a side note, I've found it much easier to ignore the PEMDAS and instead use something called the Boss Triangle (click that link for more information). The idea behind this is that students get confused from a few PEMDAS rules. First, many people forget that since multiplication/divison and addition/subtraction are the same weight (more importantly, they are inverses of each other), you actually solve them from left to right. The second problem has to do with the mistake you just made. Parentheses are not operations, but they are containers for operations. So with this, the boss triangle removes parentheses all together and implies that you solve what's in the parentheses before you solve using what's in it. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

In short, math is fun.

Last edited by Malik on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Malik
    Mod
    Mod

Post by Malik on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:16 am

Asj wrote:Try https://www.mathway.com/BasicMath or https://www.symbolab.com/ if you want a good math calculator to work with more complicated questions.

The websites you mentioned had the correct answer as well:

J0EL

Post by J0EL on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 am

L0L just read this. Good trivia question, had him fooled!

- Joel47 / Rayman
    jocolor

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 am